Landing is Inevitable

Saturday, April 21, 2007

My ego has landed



That's one big bird. It chased my extra around a month ago when I went to Punggol Field Walk to fly. The Extra with a Slow Fly prop at that time was really struggling to out pace the eagle. It even outsized my Extra. Anyways, just wanted to post these cool pics taken by John (aka P4cm4n2000).





I have also finished building the 3DBatix FoameIIx bipe. Flew it initially with a 2s lipo batt. BIG mistake. Even with the pitch deflected to full I had lots of trouble pulling out of low hovers. The only way to recover is with a tailslide and that's impossible when you're 1 metre off the ground. Needless to say I had more than my fair share of not too pretty landings.

Had a go at the FoameIIx again the very next day. Had new "Team FlightPower" stickers on it too. But I desecrated the stickers by using Thunder Power 3s packs on the plane. Retribution was swift and unexpected. On the first outing with the plane on that day, the motor mount just gave way while taxiing. The propeller did not snag on anything but the motor decided to leave its motor mount anyways. That was a sign of more bad things to happen but I did not heed it. Instead I carried on to repair the mount and was ready to go again.

The second flight was fun. Got to a safe altitude (with no trouble thanks to 3s power), flicked the switch to idle1, and had me some variable pitched prop (vpp) action. Got the plane going into weird spins and stuff. Once the timer started beeping, brought the plane down with the softest of landing. Sweet.

Seeing Ken hucking his plane around soon afterwards made me itchy for some more action. Switched on my Tx, connected the batt, did my pre-flight checks and I was in the air hucking away. The foameIIx is a joy to harrier, slow rolls are easily executed and hovers are super easy to lock into and maintain. As usual, I'll proceed to do silly things with the plane. Coupled with the unexpected performance of the plane I started to do silly things just off the ground. Dirt flirting, some may say. Ken got some really cool shots of the plane. I was having a ball showing off.











Soon enough, I chucked the plane in an awkward position and me not being able to put enough corrective inputs the plane went smack into the ground. It wasn't a hard crash but the fragile nature of depron (which also contributes to its light weight) ensured that the plane ended up in pieces.



Picked up the pieces, acknowledged that it was purely pilot error (and not the goat which farted in Tanzania which inadvertently caused an unexpected gust at the field) and had a good laugh. It was a funny feeling. I felt sated that I had a very good low flying session but at the same time sad that such a pretty plane is now in pieces.

So I brought back the pieces home. Glued all the pieces together and I'll be trying the FoameIIx again on my next flying session.

Signing Off
RandomTask

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home